Experience an active holiday and try hiking on the volcanic crater of Sete Cidades or bathing in a thermal natural pool in the midst of pure nature. Go on a whale watching tour to encounter a variety of marine wildlife, such as our resident sperm whales, common dolphins and bottlenose dolphins. This is a package for a complete active experience!
- Day 1 | Arrival
- Day 2 | Hiking in Sete Cidades (FD)
- Day 3 | Jeep safari to Lagoa do Fogo (HD)
- Day 4 | Thematic tour to Furnas (FD)
- Day 5 | Whale and dolphin watching (HD)
- Day 6 | Hiking in Faial da Terra (FD)
- Day 7 | Van or jeep tour to Nordeste (FD)
- Day 8 | Departure
Arrival and transfer to the hotel. Free day.
Pick up at the hotel. Hiking in Sete Cidades. Picnic lunch included. Return to the hotel. Hiking in Sete Cidades - Full day Extension: 11 Km | Duration: 4 hours | Degree of difficulty: Easy Explore the West side of Sao Miguel. Sete Cidades lake is one of the most famous and legendary lakes of the island. During the 11 km long hike you will have the opportunity to learn about the fauna, flora, history, volcanic formation of the island, and of course, you will hear the legendary love story behind the formation of the lake. After the walk we will drive along the south coast and stop in Ferraria, a delightful ocean bathing area, where the salt water is heated inside a volcanic fissure.
Free morning and lunch. Pick up at the hotel. Jeep safari to Lagoa de Fogo. Return to the hotel. Jeep Safari to Lagoa do Fogo and Caldeira Velha waterfall - Half day This wonderful tour combines some off the road routes in both the highlands and flatlands, taking you to the amazing natural reserve of Lagoa do Fogo to enjoy nature at its best. Astonishing views from the top of the crater’s border are a must to photograph! We then drive you to Caldeira Velha, a warm iron-rich waterfall where you can go for a dip to experience its warm waters.
Pick up at the hotel. Thematic tour to Furnas. “Cozido” lunch included. Return to the hotel. Thematic Tour to Furnas (van + walking) - Full day Feel and experience the volcanic origins of the Island in Furnas, a magical place. We start by visiting the Caldeiras da Lagoa das Furnas (Furnas Lake Calderas), a place where we cook the famous “cozido das Furnas” (a very special meal cooked only with the steam of the Earth) and continue with a soft walk that crosses a stream and circles the lakeside. During this walk we have the opportunity to appreciate a variety of endemic flora species. Next we visit the town of Furnas, with its fumaroles and hot springs that contain water with different tastes. The Cozido meal is served in a local restaurant. After lunch we visit the centenary Terra Nostra botanical garden that is famous for its extraordinary collection of native plants on the Azores, as well as others from all over the world that have adapted to the local garden conditions. At the end of the visit you are invited to bathe in an iron-rich hot water swimming pool that has a temperature of 35-40ºC, an exquisite experience! On the way back to Ponta Delgada we stop at several beautiful viewpoints on the North Coast and also at the only tea plantation in Europe where we will be able to visit the working tea factory and have a lovely break to taste the tea.
Pick up at the hotel. Whale and dolphin watching (3 hour trip). Free afternoon. Whale and Dolphin watching - Half day During this activity you will have the opportunity to watch some of more than 25 cetacean species that can be found in the Azores. Although nature offers no guarantees, whales and dolphins are regularly seen during our half day tours, along with turtles, seabirds and other marine life. Before the boat trip our biologists give you a briefing to explain which cetacean species can be observed, safety measures aboard, how we respect the animals and rules of observation at sea as well as some historical facts. During the tour each passenger is required to wear a life vest (except on our catamaran). Futurismo also provides rain coats and trousers if necessary.
Pick up at the hotel. Hiking in Faial da Terra. Picnic lunch included. Return to the hotel. Hike Faial da Terra - Salto do Prego - Full Day Extension: 6 Km | Duration: 3 Hours | Degree of difficulty: Medium/Technical Faial da Terra is a small village belonging to Povoacao, located in the South East of Sao Miguel Island. Our walk starts on a steep narrow road that leads us to Sanguinho – a village that has been abandoned since the early 70’s and is now being restored. The rest of the trail is in the woods, with a lot of short up and down hill stretches between very dense and beautiful vegetation. This is really a walk in which you can “smell” all the green around you! Upon reaching Salto do Prego’s waterfall, we have the opportunity for a dip before our picnic lunch. On the way back we follow a different trail but with the same characteristics. When we finish the trail we have time for a snack in town and to mingle with the local people. This trail is not recommended for people with knee or ankle problems.
Pick up at the hotel. Van or jeep tour to Nordeste. Lunch included. Return to the hotel. Van or Jeep tour to Nordeste - Full Day Located in the eastern-most part of the island, Nordeste is considered to be the most beautiful region in the island and it has already been considered to be the most flower-rich region in Europe. Our first stop is well worth it as we stop at the viewpoint of Salto do Cavalo’s peak. This viewpoint is marked by astonishing and wide views over Povoação, the first place to be settled on the island, and the coast that extends beyond Povoação. We continue our trip to the Priolo (Azores Bullfinch) Environmental Center to visit the interactive exposition that fills the visitor with interesting knowledge about the area of Serra da Tronqueira, its fauna and flora, and more specifically about the Priolo bird (Pyrrhula murina) which is endemic to Sao Miguel Island in the Azores. Next to the centre we can also visit the Endemic Species Garden. Finally we go down to the town of Nordeste where we have lunch in a local restaurant. On the way back to Ponta Delgada we will stop at wonderful viewpoints over the coast and Povoação.
Transfer from the hotel to the airport and departure. Highlights:
- Hiking around the crater of Sete Cidades
- Exploring routes in both highland and flatland until reaching the amazing natural reserve of Lagoa do Fogo
- Tasting the famous Furnas “Cozido”, cooked only with steam of the earth
- Watching some of the 25 cetacean species that can be found in the Azores
- 7 nights Hotels
- Transfers airport | hotel | airport
- Transfers to the activities
- English speaking guide
- Lunch on the full day activities
- International flight to Ponta Delgada
- Lunch on days 1, 3, 5 and 8
- Optional activities
Our guides speak a variety of languages so that we can offer our guests a more personalized service. Languages spoken include English, Portuguese, German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Scandinavian languages, Bulgarian and Estonian.
- Picnic lunch on days 2 and 6 – baguette sandwich or salad, cupcake or energy bar, fruit, water and juice
- Cozido lunch on day 4 – starter, Cozido, dessert and drinks included. Cozido contains: beef, chicken, pork, spicy sausage, blood sausage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrot, cabbage, green kale. All cooked during 6 hours with natural steam only
- Lunch in local restaurant on day 7 - starter, fish or beef, dessert and drinks included
*Vegetarian options on request (24h before the trip)
Bring comfortable light clothes, sweater, raincoat, walking boots or shoes, swimming suit and towel, hat, sunblock, backpack and bottle of water to refill.
Weather or sea conditions may restrict the activities therefore the order of the itinerary may be switched so that guests can take the most enjoyment of their trip.
Dates & Rates
|8/14/2020 - 9/30/2020||$1700||$1992||$3157||$1700||$1992||$2722||$1211||$1384||$1989||$1156||$1302||$1815|
|10/1/2020 - 10/31/2020||$1323||$1610||$2574||$1323||$1610||$2138||$1015||$1194||$1728||$955||$1137||$1640|
Booking your vacation
- Early booking is advised. Availability of accommodations
inter-island flight is limited especially in summer months
- If hotels named in itinerary are not available at time of booking, alternate similar
same rating properties will be confirmed, and subject to new quote.
- Order of islands visited may need to be altered due to
flight schedule changes
- Unless otherwise indicated, sightseeing tours are by
private car with English speaking driver. Other languages are
available upon request
- Quotations with different hotels have a non refundable deposit
of $50. Deposit will be credited towards final booking price
Booking your Vacation with Air
- International airfare for this package is additional to
price shown on Rates table. Departure cities are limited to those serviced
by SATA International (Azores Airlines)
- If you want a quote for airfare to be included make sure to
check yes when prompted during the booking/reservation
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit of $350 per
person per vacation is required to book and hold space for you
- Deposit includes inter-islands airfare
- Final payment is due 45 days before departure
- Option to pay full price up front is available
- $350 per person if canceled up to 45 days from day of
arrival plus any other additional fees
- 25% of total reservation if canceled 15 to 45 days from day
of arrival plus any other additional fees
- 50% of reservation if canceled 7 to 14 days from day of
arrival plus any other additional fees
- No refunds if canceled less than 7 days or less from date
I want to book. What do I do next?
- Click on the Book Now button to send your reservation request
- No payment will be collected at this time
- Our travel Associate will contact you via email to answer any questions and book your Package
- If you don't plan to book at this time please click here to contact us with any questions or concerns about your trip or your holiday
- A fee of $35 per person, per transaction, will be charged
for any revision or alteration made to a reservation after the booking
- We understand that there are unforeseeable circumstances, like flight cancellations, that prevent our clients from making their trips as planned. For that reason, we recommend purchasing travel insurance as we will not be able to refund any service which clients have not been able to utilize under these circumstances. Please click here for more information.
Note: Hotels shown are for reference only. We reserve the right to change hotels based on availability, group size or other factors. Should alternate hotel be required, it will be of same or better rating .
Ponta Delgada - Hotel Apartamentos Gaivota
Located in the center of Ponta Delgada and next to Portas Do Mar, this hotel offers panoramic views of the marina right in the capital of the Azores Archipelago.
All rooms at Hotel Apartamentos Gaivota have hardwood floors and elegant furnishings. Each of the air conditioned rooms features a cable TV, and a minibar.
Guests can enjoy their breakfast in the privacy of their room, while using the free internet. The hotel is surrounded by restaurants and cafés with terraces. Packed lunches are also available.
The ocean pools of Ponta Delgada and the city's public pools are less than 165 ft away. Ponta Delgada Airport is 2 miles away, and the hotel offers a car rental service on site.
Ponta Delgada - Hotel do Colegio
Situated in a 19th-century building on São Miguel Island, this hotel is a 5-minute walk from the University of the Azores and the seaside. It offers a swimming pool and free WiFi throughout
Hotel Do Colégio guestrooms are spacious and were recently redecorated in accordance with the building's history, which used to be a school and musical conservatory. They have air conditioning and come equipped with a minibar and cable TV. The private bathrooms have a hairdryer.
In the morning, the hotel serves a buffet breakfast. The property's restaurant serves signature cuisine, made from locally grown ingredients.
Guests can refresh themselves with a dive in the pool.
Hotel Do Colégio is located in the historic centre of Ponta Delgada. The villages of Relva and Sao Roque are a 15-minute drive away. Parking is available nearby, at an extra fee.
Ponta Delgada - Azor Hotel
Featuring 123 rooms overlooking the Atlantic, the Azor Hotel is a lively and modern hotel with an outdoor swimming pool located in Ponta Delgada, São Miguel.
Each modern room is equipped with air conditioning, soundproofing, a minibar and a flat-screen cable TV. Private bathrooms come with a bath or shower, a hairdryer and free toiletries. Free WiFi is available throughout the property.
Guest may enjoy a revitalizing breakfast every morning and the À Terra restaurant serves a varied à la carte menu with typical delicacies. In the evening guests may relax at the on-site bar.
Spa and Wellness facilities as well as a conference centre will be opening soon. Taking advantage of the natural surroundings of the São Miguel Island, a great variety of outdoor adventures and local experiences may be arranged.
Within a 15-minute walk, guests will find landmarks like São Brás Fort and São Sebastião Mother Church. Sete Cidades Lagoon is 15.5 miles away and Ponta Delgada Airport is 4.7 miles away.