11 Days / 10 Nights
Enjoy a moderately paced, escorted tour of Portugal. Take 2-night stopovers in Lisbon, Porto, and the Algarve. The tour, which starts and ends in Lisbon, covers the interior and almost the entire coastline of Portugal. You'll get a chance to enjoy guided sightseeing tours in Lisbon, Porto, and Evora.
For those interested in food and wine, you’ll have an opportunity to enjoy an olive oil tasting in Belmonte (birthplace of Pedro Alvares Cabral, who discovered Brazil) and a wine tasting at a port wine cellar in Porto.
Day 1 - Arrival in Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome to Lisbon! Spend your free time resting, or start exploring the Portuguese capital. At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions for a welcome dinner with wine at your hotel.
Day 2 - Lisbon
Today is all about enjoying the beautiful city of Lisbon, the center of Europe's longest-lived overseas empire. Check our blog for some ideas on how to make the most of your Lisbon vacation!
- Morning sightseeing through the Baixa quarter
- Explore the history of Fado in Alfama
- Drive the Avenida da Liberdade up to Pombal Square
- Visit Belem Tower and the Jeronimos Monastery
- Optional excursions to Sintra and the royal palace of Queluz
- Optional dinner at a traditional Fado-style taverna
Day 3 - Lisbon - Obidos - Alcobaça - Nazare - Fatima - Tomar
Go back in time as you travel north from Lisbon. Learn the history of medieval Obidos, see the tombs of King Pedro I and his famous lover, Inês de Castro, and visit the country's most hallowed marian shrine.
- Medieval Obidos
- Church of Santa Maria Monastery - Alcobaça
- Tombs of King Pedro I and Inês de Castro - Alcobaça
- Fishing harbor of Nazaré
- Fatima's Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary
- Order of the Knights of Christ - Tomar
Day 4 - Tomar - Conimbriga - Coimbra - Porto
As you continue your journey to Porto, you'll get to take in the spectacular history of the country. See the Roman influence in Conimbriga and the 700-year-old university in Coimbra.
- Manueline Window at the hilltop Convent of Christ
- Roman ruins of Conimbriga
- Guilded baroque library of the University of Coimbra - Coimbra
- Buçaco Forest
- Optional dinner in Porto
Day 5 - Porto
Enjoy the Douro River area and the spectacular wine country of Porto. Spend a leisurely afternoon touring the city and its wonderful wineries.
- Sightseeing the Douro River
- Church of Sao Francisco - Porto
- Arabian Hall at the Stock Exchange - Porto
- port wine cellars in Porto
- Optional boat ride and visit to the House of Music
Day 6 - Porto - Guimaraes - Vila Real - Viseu
Take a scenic drive from Porto through the interior of the country. Take in the amazing views and foods on the sixth day of your tour.
- "Cradle of Portugal" - Guimaraes
- Quinta da Aveleda winery and gardens - Vila Real
- Scenic drive to Viseu
- Dinner at Forno da Mimi - Viseu
Day 7 - Viseu - Belmonte - Castelo de Vide - Evora
Experience some of Portugal's fascinating Jewish history in Belmonte and Castelo de Vide. Learn about some of the other exports for which Portugal is well known, such as olive oil and cork.
- Jewish Museum - Belmonte
- Olive oil tasting - Belmonte
- Medieval synagogue - Castelo de Vide
- Tour a cork factory in Evora
Day 8 - Evora - Algarve
Check out Evora's medieval center, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Then, proceed across the arid Alentejo plain to the Algarve, Portugal's most popular vacation area. Tonight, why not try one of the seafood restaurants for which the Algarve is famous?
- Roman Temple of Evora
- Gothic cathedral - Evora
- Portas de Moura Fountain - Evora
- Sao Francisco Church and Ossuary Chapel - Evora
Day 9 - Algarve Coastal Excursion
Today, you'll visit the place where Henry the Navigator lived and planned his overseas expansion. Only a few miles away, stand at the southwestern corner of continental Europe. Finally, spend time in Lagos before returning to your hotel.
- Promontory of Sagres - Algarve
- Cape St. Vincent
Day 10 - Algarve - Azeitao - Lisbon
Take the scenic route over the Serra da Arrábida and savor sweeping views of the Tróia Peninsula. Enjoy your last night in Lisbon before your tour ends.
- Castle at Sesimbra
- Traditional tile workshop in Azeitao
- April 25th Bridge into Lisbon
- Dinner at the Varanda restaurant with your companions
Day 11 - Lisbon
Your amazing tour of Portugal ends with breakfast this morning.