click map to enlarge
3 Days / 2 Nights - This historic tour follows the trail of the Knights Templar. Having arrived in Portugal in the time of Countess Teresa, the mother of Portugal’s first King, Afonso Henriques, the Knights Templar were present at many of the landmark moments in the history of Portugal, ranging from its foundation as a nation and the construction of it identify through to the period of maritime discoveries. The Order’s cross remains until today the symbol of the Portuguese Navy and Air Force. We shall be visiting monuments, reliving past events and speaking of the figures that will open up the history of both this Order and European nation that has the longest standing permanent borders.
Day 1 – Lisbon / Almourol / Tomar (164 Km/103 miles)
Leaving Lisbon, we set off for one of the most representative ,monuments of the Knights Templar in Portugal: Almourol Castle. Located on a small island in the river Tagus, this is one of the Europe’s most emblematic monuments. We then proceed onward in the direction of the Castle and Convent of Tomar – The Order’s own headquarters. This is undoubtedly one of the finest architectonic works existing in Portugal. Here, we encounter the Castle with its imposing bulwark, the Charola – considered the best preserved Templar church with a centralized layout - the enigmatic Manueline window and the main cloister, a masterpiece of the European Renaissance. We then gain the opportunity to visit the Church of St. John the Baptist, the matrix church of Tomar, with its original structure subject to renovation on the orders of King Manuel, a former governor of the Order. This thus proves a monument very much in the Manueline style. We then move on to the Church of Santa Maria dos Olivais. This fine example of Gothic architecture served both as the pantheon for the grand masters of the Order and a template for churches built throughout the Portuguese empire. Tomar – overnight.
Day 2 - Tomar / Dornes / Batalha / Alcobaca / Sintra (253 Km/ 158 miles)
We first set offer for the pretty setting of Dornes, located alongside the river Tagus. Here, we tour the Templar Tower, also known as the Tower of Dornes. We then follow this with a visit to CIBA – the Battle of Aljubarrota Interpretation Center. This provides the opportunity to “relive” one of the most important battles of Medieval Europe and decisive to Portuguese unity and identity. Lopo Dias de Sousa, a canonical religious master in the Order of Christ, proved a defining and fundamental figure in this period of history. We then advance to the Monastery of Alcobaça with its church containing one of the largest Cistercian abbeys in Europe. This architectural masterpiece was built on the orders of Afonso Henriques, the founding King of Portugal and encharged to Saint Bernardo de Claraval, principal abbot in the Cistercian order and a great mentor and driver in the Order of the Knights Templar. We then depart in the direction of Sintra. Sintra – overnight.
Day 3 – Sintra | Lisbon (30 Km/19 miles)
We begin the day with a visit to Quinta da Regaleira, a leading example of the Romantic architectural style and one of the most esoteric and mysterious places in Portugal. We reveal a few of the secrets of these enchanting surroundings replete with neo-Templar symbols such as the initiation well. We then take in the Tower of Belem, the Portuguese monument that symbolizes the Era of the Discoveries and the National Navy Museum. We here gain the chance to see into, with the help of two of the governors of the Order of Christ, Prince Henry the Navigator and King Manuel, what was certainly the most splendid period in the history of Portugal that, as the Poet himself affirmed, gave new worlds to the World. End of our services.
|8/22/2017 - 10/31/2017||$656||$631||$631||$37|
|11/1/2017 - 3/31/2018||$644||$629||$629||$37|
- Accommodation on buffet breakfast basis at 4 star Hotel dos Templarios, or similar and 4 star Hotel Tivoli Sintra or similar
- Transport by air conditioned bus or minivan as per detailed itinerary
- Guide during entire tour
- Entrances into following monuments: Castelo de Almourol (Almourol), Castelo de Tomar, Convento de Cristo (Tomar), St. Johns Baptist (Tomar), Santa Maria dos Olivais Church (Tomar), Torre Templaria (Dornes), Mosteiro da Batalha Cloisters (Batalha), Alcobaça Monastery (Alcobaca), Quinta da Regaleira (Sintra)
Does not Include
- Other expenses than above mentioned, porterage fees at the hotel, dinners, personal expenses, event or monument entrances
- Choose premium in pricing option to include dinner
- Portuguese, English, Spanish & French
Note: Hotels shown are for reference only. We reserve the right to change hotels based on availability, group size or other factors. Should alternate hotel be required, it will be of same or better rating .
- Departs on Tuesdays per rates table
Tomar - Hotel Dos Templarios
Set in luxuriant grounds, Hotel Templarios offers spacious rooms with balconies overlooking the Nabão River and Mouchão Park. It features a spa and lagoon-style pool with views of Tomar Citadel.
Each of the hotel’s rooms is bright and elegantly decorated with wooden furnishings. A minibar and cable TV are also available. The private bathroom comes with a separate bathtub and bathrobes.
Hotel Dos Templarios features a spa area with classical décor, including dry and wet saunas and an indoor pool. Guests can treat themselves on a relaxing massage or beauty treatment.
The hotel has a game room where guests can play pool. There are also a gym and a tennis court on site.
Convento De Cristo, once the stronghold of the Medieval Order of Knights Templar, is a 10-minute walk from the hotel. Historic central Tomar is just 650 ft away.
Sintra - Hotel Tivoli Sintra
In the heart of the UNESCO heritage town of Sintra, the Tivoli hotel has accommodations in a tranquil setting, and panoramic views out over a dramatic landscape.
All guest rooms at the Tivoli Sintra hotel feature air conditioning, a minibar and satellite TV. Many of the rooms offer far-reaching views out over the town towards Sintra Cascais Natural Park.
The Monserrate Restaurant offers some of the best views in the hotel, and serves an eclectic menu of local and international dishes. The Panoramic Bar provides a small and intimate environment in which to enjoy an evening drink.
Hotel Tivoli Sintra can arrange a variety of local tours, including sailing, hiking and wine-tasting. Guests can also practice their golf swing in the nearby golf courses.
The hotel is just over 1 mile from Pena Palace, a 19th-century monument. It is 22 miles from Lisbon Airport.
Booking your Tour Package
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit of $250 per
person is required to confirm and hold your reservation
- Tour departures, itineraries and prices are subject to
change until confirmed
- Full payment due 45 days from departure
Booking your Tour Package with Air
- This tour package does not have an airfare option. We can hold
your tour package land reservation while you book air. Once you confirm your air
itinerary we can then proceed with collecting a deposit and confirming
your land portion
- Deposit is non-refundable
- Cancellation 45 to 22 days prior to departure: 20% of total
price minus deposit
- Cancellation 21 to 8 days prior to departure: 30% of total
- Cancellation 7 to 2 days prior to departure: 50% of total
- Less than 48 hours, "no shows" and unused services - No
I want to book. What do I do next?
- Click on the "Book Now" button to send your reservation request
- No payment will be collected at this time
- Our travel Associate will contact you via email to answer any questions and book your Package
- If you don't plan to book at this time please click here to contact us with any questions or concerns about your trip or your holiday
- A fee of $35 per person, per transaction, will be charged
for any revision or alteration made to a reservation after the booking
- We strongly recommend you purchase travel/cancellation